Paper jams are a major nuisance. What office worker hasn’t had an encounter with a paper jam and felt tempted to shake the printer out of pure stress and frustration? Gem Laser Express, Inc., is a copy service in Fairfax, VA, that understands. What many people don’t consider, though, is that a paper jam is not usually due to the machine. Most jams, in fact, are caused by the paper. Here’s why, along with some tips for avoiding paper jams.
- Do not open a new ream until you need to use it – Paper absorbs moisture from the air. As this happens, the paper expands and makes jams more likely. Only take the amount of paper you need for the print run, then store the rest in a cool, dry place.
- Pay attention – If you notice that some sheets of paper are curled, torn, or wrinkled, do not load them into your printer.
- Fan your pages – Some jams are caused because sheets of paper are stuck together; fanning them will get some air between them and help to keep them separated.
- Avoid cheap, low-quality paper – You get what you pay for. Low-quality paper may save you in the price of materials, but cost in time lost to paper jams.
- Don’t mix papers of different weights or thicknesses in the paper tray – Using one paper stock at a time is another good way to avoid a problem.
Contact us today for more information about our copy services.